Wifi connection at cern

dear all,

every time I stay away from CERN for more than some days (don’t know exactly), my first connection to the CERN network (CERN or eduroam) hangs forever (oh well until I reboot) as seen in the two screenshots attached.

I opened a ticket at CERN as I was convinced it is a more common problem than just a me problem, but the bottomline reply has been oh you have ubuntu and we don’t support it.
This seems to me BS and I’m almost positive that other non-linux users have the same problem so I’m now trying to find some proof of that…

however in the meanwhile has someone with Ubuntu or not experienced the same? and have you managed to solve?

it is not a huge problem of course… they just made me mad with their standard oh-its-linux-brain-crashed replies…

thanks a lot for the attention!

cheers,
Marcella

I’m an Ubuntu user and never have an issue. Mine just connects as it would any other known wifi.

Which Ubuntu are you using?

Hi, thanks a lot for the feedback!!

I’m using 22.04.2 LTS.

I’ve found at least other two people having the same problem as me and using MacOS.
So I don’t think it is a linux or ubuntu specific problem.

However it might be a configuration problem (different in different OS but giving the same effect?)

Now from what I understand it could be linked to a laptop configuration that randomises the mac address… I have checked and I seem not to have the randomisation enabled (I have wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf), so I’m not sure what else to check.

thanks again,
cheers
Marcella