CERN Recipes for Ubuntu users

There is a set of recipes on how to use Ubuntu at CERN in the internet. You can find guidelines on:

Users of this forum are encouraged to shared their sources of documentation by means of posts like this one.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, Manuel!

Any idea how one can install the CERNbox client on Ubunut? I’ve managed to successfully upgrade from 18.04 with the client already installed, but cannot install it at home on a machine that is on 19.10.

Cheers,
Achintya

The instructions to install CERNBox in Ubuntu are available at:

https://cernbox.cern.ch/cernbox/doc/linux.html

Cheers;
manuel

Oh, they just added support for recent versions a few days ago! I couldn’t install it late last year. Thanks for pointing me to the link.

With black text on the blue background
as well the black ubuntu logo

I can barely read the text. I’ve changed my theme to light but it doesn’t apply it for this thread.

1 Like

Hey Manuel. I seem to be having trouble installing CERNBox on my Linux Mint computer. The version I’m currently using is based on Ubuntu 20.04 so I thought those Ubuntu packages would work, but they don’t. Is there a way I could still install CERNBox on my computer? For some reason, accessing it through lxplus is very slow.

Have you followed instructions at: CERNBOX for Ubuntu 20.04 ?

Cheers;
manuel

Hi Manuel,

Any chance you know of anyone that tried printing on Ubuntu 22.04? I can print, but only on A4 in Black and White, but the printer has more options than that, which my PC claims to recognise.

Thanks,

Simon

Hi,
I assume this is a printer at CERN? Does printing work from lxplus? If so, you could try to find the matching ppd file from /usr/share/lpadmincern/ppds/ for your printer from lxplus|lxplus8|lxplus9, and configure cups using that.

Yes, it’s a CERN printer. I was able to use it normally before, but then I upgraded my OS. I didn’t know it was possible to print from lxplus, that’s useful to know!

Just tried it, I can print in colour. Not sure how to set the paper size, but that’s already a good start.

However, I initially used the ppd from /etc/cups/ppd/[printer_name].ppd, which is the same as the one being used on lxplus.

Thanks for trying though.